Neurodegenerative Diseases and Toxins Don’t Mix!
While family history is well known to be linked to Parkinson’s Disease, the link between Parkinson’s Disease and toxic environmental exposure is also becoming clearer. For example, toxic environmental exposure can cause damage to the nerves in the area of your brain that control the muscle tension and nerves. Living around, or with, environmental toxins may be harmful to neurons and can also cause the depletion of Glutathione, which can greatly affect mitochondrial function. One of the common factors in Parkinson’s Disease and other Neurodegenerative Diseases is a decreased level of the antioxidant Glutathione, with low Glutathione levels making the cells much more susceptible to oxidative damage.
So what can you do? Remove as many environmental toxins from your daily life and home as you can. The www.ewg.org website can help you check all your cleaners, body care products, make-up, and other household items. This website conveniently rates products from A – F (you want all A’s and B’s if possible). Many think (including some close to me – and you know who you are) that name brand products labeled “Free and Clear” are safe from toxins. But chances are they rate as low as a D, or even F, because of the amount of chemicals that they use. Here are some tips to help you to “detoxify” your home:
- Have a good look at your soaps and skincare products. You will be surprised at how even your “natural” soaps rate on the www.ewg.org website. Who wants to wear chemicals that will absorb into the body!? The amount of chemicals the U.S. allows in consumer products, cosmetics, and food is scary compared to the amount allowed in other countries.
- Buy organic, local, and seasonal produce and food whenever possible. If you can’t read the label, chances are it is not the best choice for your body.
- Don’t store your food in plastic containers. Glass or stainless steel containers are much better choices.
- Always drink filtered water, but not from a plastic container.
- Add plants to each room in your house and think about investing in a high quality air filter for your main living space, bedroom, and office, especially if you live in a city or close to a freeway or busy road.
- Remove all electronics from your bedroom including your phone, tv, and wireless connection.
- Take a closer look at the supplements you put into your body. Many brands use synthetic and high allergy ingredients like gluten and soy that can actually be more harmful for your body. There are many vitamin brands that your body cannot fully absorb.
I highly recommend a vitamin supplement program for patients with Parkinson’s Disease to help with common nutrient deficiencies such as Glutathione and other antioxidants that help the body fight off toxins. You can now purchase my recommended supplements, as well as many others, directly from my Certified Practitioner Webstore. For those with Parkinson’s Disease, please visit the dedicated page on my website www.nutritionalrestoration.com which includes the supplements that I think might be most helpful. If you are unsure, please schedule an appointment to discuss which supplements will be right for you.
And finally, I will leave you with some advice from my seven year old. “Drink a glass of lemon water ever day”. It is a great way to help your body cleanse itself in a refreshing way. If you have any questions or thoughts about todays blog feel to email me at [email protected]
This blog is for information purposes only. The content is not intended as medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Should you have a medical or dermatological problem, please consult with your physician. None of the information or recommendations on this website should be interpreted as medical advice.
All product reviews, recommendations, and references are based on the author’s personal experience and impressions using the products. All views and opinions are the author’s own.
This blog post may contain affiliate links. An affiliate link means we may earn a commission if you click on a link and make a purchase, without any extra cost to you.
Please see our Disclaimer for more information.